Thursday, August 29, 2019

Week 2 Story


The Last Melon
There once was a young family that lived in middle of Springfield, MO.  As Springfield is a growing city, there are many opportunities for stores to open as there is a constant group of customers looking for a store to call their home. A skunk mother named Shea had recently moved to Springfield with her daughter, Libra. Shea had an amazing job as she was the CEO of her own company, Plug your Nose. This was a candle shop that had become a million-dollar business and had continued to rise in popularity. Libra began to grow and be hungry a lot. Shea continued to go to the store 3-4 times a week just to have enough food. Shea took Libra to the store for the first time and there was one thing she wanted, and she want melons.
The local store opened only a week after Shea moved to Springfield. The store was a hot spot for shoppers and the selection was very scarce. The fruit industry was having a rough time to fulfill the needs for fruit. When Shea and Libra travelled to the store there was one melon remaining. As Shea went to grab the melon someone else grabbed her hand on the melon. Shea turned to see the ugliest rhino she had ever seen. The rhino had a look in his eye and Shea was very concerned.
“What do you want rhino?” said Shea. The rhino replied with a smirk, “I want your daughter to come live with me.” Shea was astonished by the remark but wanted to have the melon for her daughter. She decided to let the rhino take her daughter and winked at her daughter as if she had a plan. The rhino took Libra back to his home, and Libra wasn’t on board at first with the situation, but she went with the situation and tried to make the best out of it. The rhino would change her life and Libra would never go back to her mom. Libra and the rhino would move out of the country to Mexico and would live happily ever after.
Author Notes:
I started the story while referencing an old story called Three Roses. I wanted my own spin, so I put Springfield, my hometown, as well as one of my favorite animals. There isn’t a lot to the story other than that I wanted to make a story that replicated one of my favorite Disney movies, Beauty and the Beast.
 This is the Picture from the original story that mine is based off of https://sites.google.com/view/mythfolkloreanthology/fairy-tales
Sources: The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis (1922).

 https://sites.google.com/view/mythfolkloreanthology/fairy-tales

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ethan,

    I really enjoyed your take on this story. When I read that the mom winked at her daughter, I thought for sure that she had come up with a plan to rescue her. That makes me wonder why she winked at all because all it did was probably give her daughter false hope. I had a pretty good laugh when I read that part about the ugliest rhino she had ever seen. Rhino’s in general are not that pretty too look at so it is great to see someone agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ethan! This story definitely did not go where I expected it to, which in my opinion is always fun. I definitely see the inspiration from Three Roses and Beauty and the Beast, and your story also reminded me of the story of Demeter and Persephone, where Persephone lives with Hades in the underworld for half the year after he stole her to marry her, and her mother had to bargain to get her back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ethan!
    I also chose to rewrite the Three Roses story so it was interesting to see how different our two stories were. We definitely changed it up quite a bit and rewrote it in two different directions. I like your story because you tailored it to you and your home town while still keeping it close to the original. Good job!

    ReplyDelete