Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Reading Notes: Inferno: Dante and Virgil

This week I decided to read the stories of Dante's Inferno as I had heard it was an awesome story, so I saw the opportunity and took it. As I read through all the stories, I was thoroughly entertained by the stories. As I read through all the parts of the stories and decided that I wanted to really look at the beginning of the story as the beginning is always the most important part of a story to me. The beginning hooks the reader so it must be amazing to get the reader all in on the story. It took me a few times to understand the story. It finally clicked after a couple of times reading it through. One of my favorite parts was when Dante meets Virgil. It was an interesting part of the story and it seemed very inconspicuous. Virgil seemed as if he was a monster and was scaring Dante the way he looked at him. I envisioned Virgil when I first read the story as a taller figure with a long face and the eyes that could stare a hole through anybody and anything. That image even scares me and I am just reading the story. As I continued to read I got more background on what Virgil actually was and it was interesting to see my version of him compared to what the story describes him as. As I continued to read and Virgil, who I thought was a monster, turned into the comforter of Dante which was very surprising. I would have thought that Virgil would try to take advantage of Dante and cause him to say with Virgil and not have a chance to escape. Virgil then becomes a guide through Hell for Dante. Virgil takes a role that I would have never thought he would. The way Virgil is described makes him seem like someone that would scare Dante and would make Dante want to stay away from Virgil. The beginning definitely did its job as it hooked me and sent me few different ways. All in all, this did the job and definitely made want to read the rest of the story.
A ghost version of Virgil https://images.app.goo.gl/b1ZeffdtvUsDJHTk6
Bibliography: http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/07/inferno-dante-and-virgil.html

No comments:

Post a Comment