Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Reading Notes: Little John

This week is an exciting week as I am a huge fan of readings from the UK and Ireland. The opportunity I have this week to read these stories is exciting. I went through my usual steps to picking out a story by going through and checking out all that was available. I set my sights on the Robin Hood series for this week. I have always been a big fan of Robin Hood and I was excited to read through the Robin Hood stories. I ended up going with the story Little John. This ended up being a ballad and it was a really fun read. The youtube video was awesome to have. It really brought the ballad to life. I am a big music fan so listening to it made it that much better for me.  The beginning of the ballad is a fun time. I love the detail that Little John is actually a large muscular man. That gave me a little chuckle. As the ballad continued, I never lost interest in it and it continued to get better and better. I loved the parts of the ballad with dialogue as it gave the ballad some more personal feeling which is always fun to have in stories in songs. The only problem I had with the ballad was the language that was in use. The language was a older english and the phrasing and wording of the ballad confused me at times. It took me a few read throughs to completely understand what was going on in the ballad. The fight sequence that occurs is interesting and a pretty detailed one for a story like Robin Hood but it doesn't take away from the fact that Robin Hood is one of the best characters, in anything, ever. The ballad itself was fantastic with multiple scenes that were funny, dramatic and interesting. I definitely recommend Robin Hood stories if you have not had the chance to read through them before.
The Disney portrayal of Little John https://images.app.goo.gl/mxPVwUwDADTkzt55A

Bibliography: http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/robin-hood-little-john.html

No comments:

Post a Comment