Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Reading Notes: Sinbad: Third Voyage

The reading I decided to for this week is the stories of Sinbad. The specific story I decided to do notes on for the day is his Third Voyage. What caught my eye with the stories is that the stories were being told in first person. Sinbad is talking to the reader throughout the story and it is cool to read and feel like the main character and star of the show is speaking directly at you instead of other characters in the story. That connection means a lot to me as a reader as I like to have a connection to the main character and not feel like I am on the outside of a group looking over them. The story itself is a great story. The savages that took Sinbad's ship were small beings, but strength comes in numbers as they swarmed the ship. I got a slight chuckle as two feet tall and red fur savages took over a ship and took it hostage with no problem whatsoever. The terror that the crew had was crazy to read as you would think a burly ship crew wouldn't be scared at all of a few small savages but they must have been truly terrifying. The giant comes into the picture and I truly got wide eyed reading that. When the giant took the captain and roasted him, I got a little scared myself. That is one of my fears is dying to a fire as it would be slow and painful. The thought of being roasted over a fire for someone else's food is creepy and gives me the chills. The end of the story was interesting though. The giant ate and scared the crew to death, but when he awoke in the morning nothing happened. My thought was that the giant would have "breakfast" but he left the castle with no attempt to do so which was odd, especially after the events of the night prior.
Saturn devouring his son https://images.app.goo.gl/Ee2QZ2HG5hu7MZNW9
Bibliography: The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang, http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/06/sindbad-third-voyage.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment