Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Reading Notes: Why Mr. Possum Loves Peace

This week I decided to read from the African Tales in the Americas section with Why Mr. Possum Loves Peace. As I read through the stories for my third week of Asian and African stories, I decided to try out a different route and go with African stories instead of the Asian stories that I have been doing for the past couple weeks. The first thing I noticed when I read the story was that it seemed more laid back compared to the other stories that I had read throughout the past couple weeks. The story was fun for me to read as the inclusion of animals in any story makes the story a fun time to read. The storybook that I created is solely based on an animal which makes it really fun to read and write as well. The sad part about the story was towards the end of the story. The two main characters of the story grow apart as their friendship takes a hit due to the events that occurred in the story and because of Mr. Dog becoming a staple in the story and causing havoc on the characters. One part of the story that I thought was interesting was the dialogue. The possum and coon in the story talk with a very heavy Southern accent in my opinion. There were multiple phrases throughout the story that made me talk with a very heavy accent and it made the story a lot of fun to read as I read it out loud and laughed at myself while I read it. The story as a whole was a really fun read and it made me want to read more of the stories from this section. The touch of comedy that I created by the dialogue that the author implemented was truly a blast and made the story a really fun time to read and dissect.
Brer possum with racoon and Mr. Dog https://images.app.goo.gl/BpyrqTTcuw9aTabSA

Bibliography: http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/brer-rabbit-why-mr-possum-loves-peace.html

No comments:

Post a Comment