Thursday, October 17, 2019

Week 9 Story: Skunk and Kangaroo

You would think a Skunk and a Kangaroo would not get along or even live near each other. This is a small story on how that became possible. A kangaroo escaped a zoo on a cold, brisk morning in a small little town called Los Angeles. The kangaroo hopped around and hid from animal control for a considerable amount of time and eventually made his way into the mountains and forest area just East of the city. The kangaroo was so excited to be out and free from his captors at the zoo. The kangaroo fell asleep and woke up in the middle of the night to a face full of black and white. At first, the kangaroo believed that he had gone color-blind and began rubbing his eyes and was extremely concerned about the fact he could have lost the color, but he would be very mistaken
The kangaroo was calmed by a interesting face as a skunk starred the kangaroo down and made sure the kangaroo would be okay to get up. The skunk was a sly skunk and knew the kangaroo was desperate for help and the skunk was about to play around and have a little fun with the kangaroo. The skunk told the kangaroo to follow him to allow the kangaroo to thrive and feel free. THe kangaroo was all in, but little did he know that the skunk had traps and other "comedic" elements near his home. The skunk knew the kangaroo would be hungry and wouldn't ask for permission and would just run away.
The next morning, the kangaroo had a slick plan to wake up early and get away from the skunk and continue his way away from the Los Angeles area. The kangaroo was also going to steal some lettuce and spinach from the skunk's garden as he left. The kangaroo woke up and snuck out the door and grabbed a couple heads of lettuce and got greedy when he went for a third. A rope came out of nowhere and wrapped around the kangaroo and hoisted him in the air and all the kangaroo could do was scream and yelp as he was just hanging by his legs. The skunk heard the commotion and slowly got up and walked outside and just shook his head. The kangaroo begged, "Please sir, I was just a lil' hungry that's all." The skunk proceeded to help the kangaroo out, but got stuck in his own trap. The skunk was hoisted in the air as both the skunk and kangaroo were hanging by their feet. The pair eventually were released after the mailman, brer rabbit, came hopping along and released the two from the traps.
Skunk and Kangaroo meeting for first time https://images.app.goo.gl/kupUL87sgvf8iXWLA
Bibliography: http://mythfolklore.blogspot.com/2014/05/brer-rabbit-mr-rabbit-and-mr-bear.html

Author's Note: I based my story off the Brer Rabbit series story Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Bear. I used a few elements from that story in my own. I used the garden stealing as an element as the garden becomes a problem in the Brer Rabbit stories. I used the trap elements as well for the characters to be trapped in as they try to get into the garden. A couple of small elements that I used were small but still, I think, had an impact on the story. The one dialogue line in my story was in a southernish accent. I tried my best to do so as the original story had a lot of that throughout the story. I also name dropped the brer rabbit which just gave a little bit of comedy and some familiarity to the story.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ethan. I liked your story for this week, it was really creative! I also read stories about Brer Rabbit this week so I could tell once I got to the author's note which story you were retelling. I think it was interesting to include a skunk and a kangaroo instead of Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear-- you definitely wouldn't think that those animals would go anywhere near one another! I think it would have been cool if you had introduced another animal to the story in Brer Fox's place, because I remember him having a big role in that story too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ethan!
    Your story was intriguing and fun to read! I have not read a Brer Rabbit story before, so I was definitely interested when I was reading your retelling. I like how you replaced the main characters into a kangaroo and skunk! One thing I noticed was the large paragraphs. If you wanted to, you could break the paragraphs into smaller ones so that it is easier to read! Great story!

    ReplyDelete